Club CRA Racing - For Fans of Simulation Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gamecontroller Settings

3 posters

Go down

Gamecontroller Settings Empty Gamecontroller Settings

Post by CRA XenoMorph Mon May 11, 2015 4:11 pm

This is what CQR Magic posted about the controller settings.. This might work

For people picking up Project CARS today, reset your expectations of how hard the game is - it's substantially harder than Forza and is going to take time to adjust to. Many people are finding the default pad settings too twitchy, so I've posted this up on CQR site to help our members and though this may help people here at TORA too:

--

**VERY IMPORTANT**

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING WITH PAD SETTINGS! - Make sure you have the latest controller firmware installed on the Xbox One pad, go to Settings > Devices and Accessories and Update Controller.

--

OK, spent 2 days fiddling with the padding settings as they were far too twitchy for me on defaults.

I think what's going on is, that the defaults are set for 'jabbers' who like to throw the stick over full left, then correct full right etc, so they need it to 'twitch'. I drive with my thumb on the stick, moving it around gently like a mini wheel which doesn't work with the default settings.

Quick note on the settings - by setting Mode 1, 2 or 3 at the bottom that doesn't just change the defaults for the values above, each mode has subtly different 'hidden' tuning that will affect the handling. I've focused on Mode 3 so far, so set MODE 3 FIRST before trying these.

I went too far with the settings initially and made it too dull and unresponsive, which is good in a way that there are enough options to enable that - but with CQR Dazzo and CQR Phil testing too, we've come up with something that works quite well in most cars - the Clio, Formula Rookie and GT3 all feel good with these settings. Haven't done a lot with the throttle and braking settings yet, so they need more work.

SET MODE 3 FIRST!
Steering Deadzone - 20% (can decrease this if you have a new 'stiff' pad, or increase if more worn)
Steering Sensitivity - 5% (increase if it feels to numb)
Throttle Deadzone - 10%
Throttle Sensitivity - 10%
Braking Deadzone - 10%
Braking Sensitivity - 10%
Clutch Deadzone - 5%
Clutch Sensitivity - 45%
Speed Sensitivity - 75% (changing this affects how much steering ratio you get as the speed increases)
Controller Filtering Sensitivity - 25% (increase this to smooth out the inputs more)
Mode = 3
Advanced options = All set to ON

Also, be aware that EVERY car also has it's own independent Steering Ratio setting - this is saved PER CAR. Adjusting that affects the speed of the steering rack in the car, so for example on a Formula A car you may want a faster rack so you can turn faster, in a slower car like a Clio, a slower rack.

I'll keep testing and refining the settings over the next few days and weeks, but already it's feeling massively better for me than the twitchy defaults!

There's also a very good guide on the new Official Project CARS forums at:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

CQR thread: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
CRA XenoMorph
CRA XenoMorph
Admin

https://clubcraracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Gamecontroller Settings Empty Re: Gamecontroller Settings

Post by CRA XenoMorph Mon May 11, 2015 4:12 pm

I also heard something about a patch that is coming soon Wink
CRA XenoMorph
CRA XenoMorph
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CRA Urban Mon May 11, 2015 10:46 pm

this is from the official forums:-

As with all options in Project Cars, there are many when it concerns using a gamepad, i'll try to explain a few.

Stick input is handled in different ways with the input system of Project CARS, input speed can vary between
Simply steering with the stick (Steering)
Moving the stick from side to side (Crossover)
Releasing the stick (Center)

The Crossover is there mainly to speed up the steering so that fast corrections can be made, it can potentially be cumbersome if there is tendency to over correct.
In case you find yourself correcting / swerving too much, just releasing the stick can be of use.
In the advanced options there is also an opposite lock help; this setting applies the Crossover speed in grip loss situations and it also gives you full steering lock.
If you are prone to correct too much, i would advice to turn this setting off.

There are 3 input modes and they behave a bit differently, even when all the menu options are set the same.
Atm, mode 1 has a different deadzone implementation, it can be set with a fairly high deadzone while mode 2 and 3 are best set according to how firm your analogue stick is.
(Less deadzone with a new pad, more with an old one, probably different between Xbox One and PS4 etc.)

You will have to experiment between the modes to see which steering speeds (and standard adjustable settings) you prefer.

The steering sensitivity concerns the linearity of the analogue stick, the more sensitivity you set, the curve will become more linear from the center.
Setting a value of 0 will make it most gradual from the center. This curve can be further modified by using the car setup options.
Every car has it's own (real) steering lock yet the steering ratio can be tuned to preference, this could theoretically make the sensitivity curve more gradual.
The setting is under the 'Alignment' tab and can be set to 'slowest' (all the way to the right) without much issues when using a gamepad.

Throttle and brake work in a similar fashion when it concerns deadzones and sensitivity.

Speed sensitivity reduces your steering lock at a certain speed, making you able to move the analogue stick fully to the side without disastrous results (usually).
You will have to find a compromise between being able to give full analogue stick input and being able to make a turn (at speed off course).
If you use a cockpit view with a visible wheel i'd suggest to try and use lower speed sensitivity and use the steering wheel to gauge the amount of input you need to give.
Naturally, because Project CARS is an advanced simulator there are also visible cues and cues from the FFB to gauge your driving .

(Currently, using an Xbox One controller on the PC can cause the FFB to become distorted; on the Xbox it causes other issues like lag, dropping sound etc,
it's a know issue and being worked on. Setting Force Feedback to 0 is a temporary solution. Steering can also 'hang' if you move the stick from side to side in rapid succession,
this is usually not an issue when driving normally and releasing the stick will "unstick" it, setting deadzone to 0 is also a solution. On Xbox One,
make sure you have the latest controller updates by hooking your controller up physically and install the latest controller updates which were in Feb. system update.)

There is also a 'Controller Filtering Sensitivity' setting which filters out a certain part of what you're doing with the analogue stick.
Setting this to 100 does not filter out all of your inputs yet at that point inputs will have become a bit unresponsive, settings up to 85 should still leave some fidelity.
'Soft Steering Dampening' is there to smooth out / dampen the input while retaining fidelity although a certain sense of "directness" can be lost.

It appears that there are very different driving styles when using a pad; the Forza/GT chase style driving with a lot of speed sensitivity,
the 'glued thumb' style people who prefer direct control (and of which i wonder how their thumb doesn't cramp up), people who tap the analogue stick etc.
This makes for many different preferences to cater to and it can make it difficult at times to gather what people expect when they have issues with the controls,
there's a lot of adjustability but not everything is possible.
CRA Urban
CRA Urban
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CRA Urban Mon May 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Embarassed
sorry didnt see your link there my bad bud
CRA Urban
CRA Urban
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CRA XenoMorph Tue May 12, 2015 9:08 am

Doesn't matter buddy Wink

It's great to have you back on the forum cheers
CRA XenoMorph
CRA XenoMorph
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by desertrainfrog Tue May 12, 2015 11:17 am

The deadzones and sensitivity problems are the only thing holding me up from playing this game.
I bought it Saturday and had to postpone my excitement about it due to these controller issues. Crying or Very sad
I hope that there is a workaround for it, soon.
...Or that they add support for the G25-Wheel for XBOX One lol!
That would be even better Very Happy
desertrainfrog
desertrainfrog
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum